Sunday, February 10, 2013

Challenges

As I was putting groceries in my car today, I noticed a man with no arms walking away from his car. I checked out his car and it was empty. I realized that he had driven to the store by himself... with NO ARMS. Ummmm... OMG! He was wearing slip-on shoes and no socks. Did he drive with his feet? How does that work??? He must be very limber. I trust he wasn’t driving a stick shift. I’m sure if it were me, I wouldn’t even be able to get out of the car. I just would grunt and groan, undoubtedly with a great deal of farting. People with physical challenges who navigate through the world amaze me. Of all the senses, I think living without sight would be the most terrifying. I’ve seen videos of blind snow skiers... unbelievable! I’ve always found skiing to be scary, and I can see just fine. Imagine doing it in total darkness... Yikes! Many years ago, my husband was walking in the Financial District of San Francisco. He felt something smack his legs, so he kicked at it. Turns out the item Rick jettisoned down the sidewalk was a blind man’s cane. The poor man was left feeling around the ground, trying to find his cane. It was an innocent mistake, buy still pretty embarrassing for Rick. Blind people kind of freak me out. I can’t watch them because I’m afraid they are going to walk into a wall or fall into a hole. I could totally get sidetracked worrying about them. I’m not sure how well I would handle such a challenge. I guess you never know until you’re faced with a hardship. I hope I never find out. I will just admire these brave people from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment