Friday, October 26, 2012

Elect Me Not

I am soooo ready for the current political elections to be over and done with. I can’t wait for robo calls and political ads to get gone. They are starting to take on a grade school “na na you’re a stinky pooh pooh face” quality. I dredged my brain for some amusing election anecdotes, and came up with two:

-  In 1992, my daughter Molly was in pre-school. They had a mock election at her school one day. When I asked her who she voted for, Molly said “I don’t remember. Which one looks like Elvis?”. I assume she voted for Bill Clinton rather than George Bush.

-  My mother drilled into us the importance of humility and caring for others. Being conceited was just about the worst thing you could be, next to being dishonest. At least that’s what I took away from what she taught me. When I was in fourth grade, I ran for a class officer position. On election day, I took my mom’s lessons way too literally and didn’t vote for myself. I thought if I did, that would make me conceited. I think I came in fourth place, which made me either class secretary or treasurer. That would have sucked had I lost by one vote!

So in a couple weeks, the big election will be over. Hopefully the people I voted for will be in office, and their opponents banished to the cornfield. I can cease yelling at the TV and scaring my dogs. At least until the next election.

No comments:

Post a Comment