Saturday, November 10, 2012

Annoyance On Board

I was driving behind a car today and noticed something that has bugged me for years. Sitting in the rear window of the car up ahead was a Kleenex box. So, let’s see... You’re driving along, all by yourself, when you feel a major sneeze coming on. What do you do? You’re totally prepared. You have a bigass Kleenex box sitting right there in your back window. Unfortunately, there’s at least a mile between your nose and those tissues. Do you pull over to the curb and hurl yourself into the back seat before the sneeze happens? Or do you let ‘er rip and clean up when you get to your destination? This would be akin to placing your toilet paper across the bathroom, perhaps on top of the shower curtain rod. I’m also highly annoyed by drivers who fill their rear car windows with cutesy stuffed animals. Seriously, if you are old enough to drive, you are old enough to leave the toys at home. I rarely see these critters in cars occupied by actual children. What I do see that shocks me are the “Baby On Board” signs. I thought those went away with the 1980’s. Not that babies aren’t riding in cars anymore, but I just don’t see the need to announce it. Like the only thing stopping me from ramming your car is because you have a baby??? I tend to try NOT to crash into other cars at all times. When I was still living in Utah some 20 years ago, the “Baby On Board” signs were prolific. Seriously, who there didn’t have a baby on board??? These signs bothered my sister so much that she wrote a letter to the editor of the Salt Lake Tribune. In it, she wondered if she was supposed to throw formula and diapers through the car windows bearing these signs. People’s cars are their mobile personae. Some feel the need to share their innermost thoughts and beliefs on their windows and bumpers. My car bumpers are naked. In my little domain-on-wheels I can be annoyed at other drivers to my heart’s content. I don’t flip people off or honk my horn. Good thing, though, my thoughts aren’t posted on my bumpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment