Sunday, June 7, 2020

Bombs Away

So what’s the deal with Mother Nature? She seems to be extremely ticked off. We’ve had epic hurricanes and large earthquakes. Then the worldwide Pandemic struck. Now the animals are acting hinky. The other day Boley and I headed out on our early morning walk. We weren’t even to the sidewalk when we got dive-bombed by a crow. It came just above Boley and I could feel and hear a WHOOSH as it flew by. As we continued, we got swooped on seven times. On the last pass, the crow actually touched Boley’s head. I stopped and checked to make sure no blood had been drawn but found that Boley was okay. More and more crows landed on trees around us, cawing loudly. The whole thing reminded me of the movie “The Birds”. It was terrifying. I expected to see Alfred Hitchcock walking across the sidewalk off in the distance. We continued around the block and cut back to the house through the alley. I didn’t want to have another bird encounter. Shortly after, on my drive back from the neighborhood bakery, I spied a lady walking towards my street. I thought about rolling down my window and warning her about the crows. Then, I selfishly reconsidered. If the crows were busy attacking her, I would be safe getting out of my car with my lattes and pastries. Yes, I was a jerk, but in thought only. The lady ended up walking in a different direction. People tell me that crows are awesome and mate for life. Whatever. I find them creepy, menacing, and for sure are smarter than I am. I resent that. Years ago when we would walk our two Scotties, crow scouts would yell to their buddies to tell them we were on our way home. Then they would be waiting in the backyard when we arrived to throw peanuts out for the squirrels. They knew our routine and were way ahead of us. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see them impatiently tapping their claws and checking little crow watches. No more attacks have happened. I hold my head high as we walk, daring the crows to mess with me again. It’s an act though. Is there such a thing as Crow PTSD? If there is, I’ve got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment