Sunday, May 17, 2020

Rush Hour, Pandemic-style

Since shelter-in-place was mandated, rush hour on the highways has pretty much disappeared. Now, however, we have rush hour on the neighborhood streets and sidewalks. When I walk Boley in the afternoon, it has become a challenge to avoid people on foot or on bicycles. I constantly look up ahead to see if someone is heading our way. If so, we cross to the other side of the street, providing that sidewalk is free and clear of humans. People have taken to walking in the street. So we have 3 options - this sidewalk, that sidewalk, middle of the street. All the zigzagging kind of makes me carsick, without a car. It does give my mind something to do though. Maybe it’s a live-action brain teaser. Boley doesn’t care about the route we take. He’s game for any action, and now sees way more people and dogs than he ever has. I’m not sure what he thinks about my bank-robber bandana. He kind of gives me the Once Over, then looks away. I’ll take that as his approval. Sometimes people gum up the process. There are those who stop to take pics of cherry blossoms, which ceases all action. Then there are people in their front yards talking to people in the street. You can’t very well head on down the sidewalk in between them. You could be getting blasted with germs from two sides. No thank you. The park we walk to (to deposit our poop bags) is still a popular place. The city had to post signs reminding people not to gather in groups and to keep 6 feet apart, or the park will be closed. Some people take in the scenic view by sitting in chairs atop their vans. Now THAT is social distancing with a flair! Personally, I would like to get in a giant hamster ball. That would be amazing, plus I wouldn’t be the one to zag to someone else’s zig. It would be all about getting out of My way, as it should be. Until I get that dream hamster ball though, I guess I will continue this way, no wait that way, not wait right down the middle…

No comments:

Post a Comment