Thursday, October 24, 2013

Seven Little Words

I keep hoping Kim Kardashian and her family will go away, but alas, it’s not in the cards. A few days ago, Kanye West proposed to Kim. It was a private, subdued little affair... not. It all happened at AT&T Park in San Francisco. While fireworks crackled and a 50-piece orchestra played, “PLEEEASE MARRY MEEE!” flashed on the Jumbotron. Kim’s family was hiding in the dugout, but supposedly didn’t know why they were there. Hmmm... are they really that dumb? Apparently so. Kanye gave his beloved a 15 carat engagement ring. I say big whoop. They are all obscenely wealthy, so buying a million dollar ring is like me buying a new sweater. I believe Kim and Kanye might just make a go of it. Not because of true love, but because they are cut from the same cloth. Serious D-bags, but probably soul mates who deserve each other. I remember my own marriage proposal. There was no stadium, fireworks, or Jumbotron. As far as I know, my relatives were not hiding nearby. Here’s how it happened... Rick had moved to San Francisco to work for an insurance company. After a few months, he came home for a visit. One night we were talking, and I said those seven little words everyone longs to hear - “So are we getting married, or what?”. I believe Rick’s reply was something equally romantic like “Uh, I guess so”. I think he thought he had months, or maybe even years before the event would happen. Ha... he had no idea that my Planner Gene could trump his Procrastinator Gene every time. Five months later we got married. I already had my ring picked out before the grand proposal. Just three gold bands, no diamonds. I’m a cheap date. I did all the planning. Rick just had to show up. Easy peasy. My sister made my wedding dress for something like $28. Our wedding was in a little chapel, we had a nice reception, and it snowed... just as I ordered. It’s been 36 years since I uttered those magical seven words. Humble works. Something to consider, Kim & Kanye.

No comments:

Post a Comment